Guidelines For Reviewers
(Adapted from the Forum for African Medical Editors Suggestions for Journal Guidelines for Reviewers, Entebbe, April 2005.)
- Topic: Is the topic relevant for the journal?
- Title: Does the title reflect the contents of the article?
- Originality: Is the work original? (If not, please give references)
- Abstract: To what extent does the abstract reflect aspects of the study: background, Objectives, methods, results and conclusions?
- Introduction/Background: Is the study rationale adequately described?
- Objectives: Are the study objectives clearly stated?
- Methodology: (please provide examples and evidence for your response, do not simply Answer yes or no)
- To what extent is the study design appropriate for the objectives?
- Is the sample size appropriate and adequately justified?
- Is the sampling technique appropriate and adequately described?
- How well are the methods and instruments of data collection described?
- How well are techniques to minimize bias/errors documented?
- Are the methods of data analysis appropriate?
- Is statistical significance well documented (e.g. as confidence intervals or P-value)?
- Are the findings presented logically with appropriate displays and explanations?
- How ell are the key findings stated?
- To what extent have differences or similarities with other studies been discussed and reasons for these given?
- Are the implications of these findings clearly articulated?
- Are they appropriate and relevant?
- Are they up to date?
- Do they follow the recommended style?
- Are they any errors?
- Are there problems with the grammar/spelling/language?
- Is the paper presented logically (collect information in each section, logical flow of Arguments)?
Please select one of the following recommendations:
- The paper can be published as it is
- The paper can be published with minor revision as suggested
- The paper can be published with major revisions as suggested
If you choose this option, do you want to review the revised paper Yes/No
- The paper is not acceptable to be published in this journal
- Other (explain)…………………………………………………………………
Do you want your name revealed to the author? Yes/No
Please state any relevant competing interests
Please provide specific suggestions to improve the manuscript